Potential Projects

Monday, November 22, 2010

A favorite side


When I was in college I decided to become a vegetarian.  Having grown up on a farm where we raised a lot of animals that we later ate, it was an interesting decision to make.  I have nothing against the eating of animals.  But I was studying International Studies, and I really couldn't see that my level of meat consumption was sustainable planet-wide.  So I decided to go veggie for a while.  Plus it seemed everyone I had a crush on was also a vegetarian.  Let's be clear.  That was probably a big motivator.

So, fast forward 15 years, and it seems that I have the darndest time eating enough fruits and veggies!  Especially in the winter!  So I love this side dish.  It's fast, easy, and tastes good.  I learned it from a friend.  This was a few years ago, and our friends were new parents.  In retrospect, good for them cooking up veggies!  Not to mention inviting people over for dinner.  Whew!  Now I'm a new parent, trying to eat enough veggies, and I've made this side so many times it's become a standard at our house.  I also appreciate that it can be budget friendly.  I like to make this when I find snow pea and organic spinach on manager's special at QFC.  Which seems like it randomly happens for me at least once a month.  Who doesn't love a huge tub of organic spinach for a dollar?  Tonight:  Stir fried snow peas and spinach.  Tomorrow night:  spinach salad with pears, dried cranberries and blue cheese.  Yum!


Stir Fried Snow Peas and Spinach
1Tbs oil (whatever you like)
1 handful snowpeas
1 handful spinach
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1Tbs-ish soy sauce
a few drops toasted sesame oil (opt)

Heat oil in a skillet or wok over high heat.  Add snow peas and stir fry until they start to show a little color.  Toss in garlic, stir fry 30 seconds.  Throw in spinach.  Stir fry until it is just starting to wilt.  Add soy sauce.  Stir everything around the pan until it looks awesome and done.  Remove from heat and add sesame oil.  Enjoy!

Oh, and have you heard it's snowing in the Seattle area?  Here's the view from my kitchen while I was cooking up dinner:


Sadly the snow didn't really start coming down until I was already at work, which just made the drive home a bit treacherous.  But it's still coming down, so I have a feeling tomorrow may be a snow day.  Fun!


 

1 comment:

  1. Tasty tasty snow peas and spinach! I gotta say, the sesame oil really seals the deal, so people should add if they got it. And have you looked outside recently? Mucho snow-cho!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete